A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Going ouside of My Comfort Zone With Washi Tape



When I saw this Atlantic Hearts Sketch I thought about washi tape:


Washi tape is the big thing now... and I have most of the Close to My Heart versions... and I bought a pack with three rolls that screamed my name at Michael's... yet it makes me nervous.  With paper, I move pieces around and maybe try more than one color before I glue it down.  Although you can, if you are very slow and careful, remove washi tape, it just doesn't have the same flexibility if you want to play with your design.  You might say it requires some commitment.  Well it was time for me to get out of my comfort zone and play.  I had several ideas which was okay because I have to send Valentine's Day care packages to the college students in my life which means that I need four valentines.

First I combined Close to My Heart's Silver Geometric tape with the black lace, black geometric and musical notes tapes that I bought at Michael's and, to add to the shine, some narrow strips of Black Glitter paper.  Amie Kiger  would be so proud of me!   Rather than try to trim the washi tape, I just folded it around to the back.  I had to do a little trimming in the corners.  The sentiment is a combination of "A Little Everything" and "Say It in Style" (both retired). 



That pretty, bright red is Tulip which is, unfortunately, retired, so for my next card I switched to Ruby.  I Used CTMH's Ruby Chevron and Slate Polka-Dot with the two black tapes from Michael's and, of course, the black glitter paper.  Usually I sponge on the corresponding ink to hide the white core that shows though after embossing, but this time I left it visible to complement the distressed feel of torn washi tape. 



For my last card in this series I used the black tapes from Michael's, Ruby Chevron tape and the Silver Geometric along with the Black Glitter paper.  After I applied the tape I used a Nestabilities die cut from Spellbinders to punch out the heart.  I was afraid that the Cricut would pull up some of the tape as it sliced along the paper.  (Have any of y'all tried using a Cricut to cut paper that has been covered with washi tape?)  I then repeated the die cut on some black cardstock, placed the washi covered paper on top of the black cardstock, lined up the heart shaped holes and attached them, and then trimmed the black cardstock to form a narrow border.  The plan was to use half a roll of foam tape to attach it to a Ruby card, but after laying the panel on a the Ruby card base, I thought the Ruby border made the card too dark, so I put a square of Ruby cardstock on a Colonial White card base positioned so that the heart would be red but the border would be white.  Then I used half a roll of foam tape...




 Here is a close up so you can how the washi taped panel is popped up with the Floral Accent nestled in the well, so to speak.




Now what about that washi taped heart that I punched out?  I used it to make another card with this week's Freshly Made Sketch:







After having so much fun with washi tape and valentines I continued the fun with a couple non valentines which will be in my next post.  In the meantime, I have to pack some boxes and get them to the Post Office in the morning.  Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi

Materials used, all Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
Paper:  Ruby, Tulip (retired), Black and Colonial White cardstock, Black Glitter paper
Ink:  Ruby, Tulip (retired), Black
Stamps:  Holiday Tags, A Little Everything (retired), Say It in Style (retired)
Embellishments:  Ruby Chevron, Slate Polka-Dot, and Silver Geometric Wasi Tape, black lace, geometric and musical note washi tape from Michael's, Black sparkles, Base and Bling Floral Accents (retired)
Other:  Nestabilities heart die cut, Paper Lace II embossing folder by Cuddlebug

13 comments:

  1. I love your card. I am also hooked on washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cool. Guess I need some more washi tape.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cards are stunning- the side view looks amazing as well! Very creative. Thanks for sharing at AHSC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Washi tape too! Great cards, Thanks for playing along with us this week at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have NEVER used washi tape................it scares me. I LOVE all your cards, and I just might, like you go outside my comfort zone. I hope I can produce something as lovely as yours!!. Great job. Thanks for sharing with us at AHSC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...this is so creative and so pretty! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is so stunning! I love the color combination, the texture the washi gives and the card LO! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! It is a great step outside of your comfort zone! Thanks for playing along at AHSC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hansi, this card is stunning! I love your designs each week :) Thanks for playing at AHSC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card! Love the washi tape on it. Thanks for playing with us at AHSC :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did here, and love to see others use the parts of the die cuts as well. They let us be so creative. thanks for playing along again with us at AHSC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cards Hansi! I love those punched out hearts! That washi tape is fabulous! The lace looks so real! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Valentines are striking! Wonderful technique! So glad you shared one at FMS!

    ReplyDelete