A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Mixing It Up With Heart 2 Heart

 
 
I have been wanting to make another quilt card ever since I made one for the  Heart 2 Heart Nip and Tuck Challenge, so I was pretty excited to see that the challenge this week is to combine either three different stamp sets or three different paper packs.  Isn't combining fabric (or papers) the whole idea behind a quilt?  Then I told myself that a quilt would be too easy and that since this is supposed to be a challenge, I opted to combine stamp sets using the Mojo Monday sketch below, and promising myself that I would make a paper quilt if I had time.
 
I started by stamping Love Doily on Colonial White paper with Versamark and embossing it with pearl embossing powder.  I then sponged over it with Champagne in the middle, blending into Cashmere towards the edges.  After I cut it out I sponged the edges with more Cashmere to give it an aged look which camouflaged any paper not cut away around the edges.  I then went to work on the roses from Floral Happiness, the March Stamp of the Month.  Helen Onulak has a great tutorial on her blog, Hooked on Stamping that shows how to get dimension with these stamps.  I just wish I had gone back and reviewed it instead of relying on memory.  I forgot about stamping off before rock and rolling the foundation stamp.  What I did was ink the foundation with Blush and sponge on some Smoothie (I am not that good at rock and rolling) before stamping it.  I then stamped the detail stamp in Hollyhock.  Not having the dimension I remembered, I went back, checked her blog and ended up using a q-tip to rub on some Colonial White.  After more fussy cutting (I am a glutton for punishment sometimes), I sponged some Champagne on the edges to "age" them.  The leaves were done in Sweet Leaf and Olive.  Except for the Cashmere ink, all the inks used on the roses were pigment inks which have a nice, velvety finish.  Next I made a panel using with a stamp from Universal Backgrounds with Slate ink and then sponged the edges with Champagne followed by Colonial White to tone it down a bit while still giving that aged look.  Can you see a theme here?  This is another one of those romantic, I love you and appreciate you cards for my husband which calls for some subtle distressing, but not torn edges.  I still like my edges clean!  I sponged the background layer with Champagne for a tone on tone look and aged the Blush border with more Champagne.  After stamping the sentiment in Slate, I sponged the edge with Blush, chased by Champagne and toned down with Colonial White.  Whew!  That was a lot of distressing!  Here is a close up of the focal point:
 
 
 


I did the same kind of distressing inside, but for some reason the distressing looks darker in the photograph.

 
 
After I finished Tim's card I had time to make a paper quilt card using Clementine, Buzz and Bumble and Roxie for my daughter's Godmother who just passed a big certification exam.  It just so happens that she is a quilter.  I do have a few tips:  Use a punch or Cricut to cut your squares to make sure they are exactly the same size.  I tried saving paper on my last quilt card by cutting my own squares and, trust me, a punch works better when you are piecing. They have to line up exactly.  It also helps to glue your design onto graph paper.  I marked out the over all square and made hash marks on the edges to show where the columns and rows would be.  Lastly, if your are going to dry emboss your finished quilt like I did, make sure it is no more than the width of your embossing folder.  I discovered this the hard way.  The brown border was supposed to be embossed as well but that made the width five and a half inches and my largest embossing folder is five inches, so I had to settle for embossing just the pieced part.  I got the pattern by casing this card at Jennabee Crafts.
 
 
 
 


So ends week two as guest designer for Heart 2 Heart Challenges.  Thank you for stopping by!  Now head on over and see what the others have done to Mix and Mingle paper and/or stamps.    Until next time, Hansi
 
Materials used, all from Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
 
Romantic card:
Paper:  For Always, Cashmere, Blush, and Colonial White cardstock
Ink:  Champagne, Cashmere, Blush and Slate dye inks, Blush, Smoothie, Hollyhock, Sweet Leaf, Olive, and Colonial White pigment inks
Stamps:  Love Doily, Floral Happiness (retired), Universal Backgrounds, A Friend Like You (to be retired, get it while you can)
Embellishments:  Tan Opaque Adhesive Gems, Pewter Badge Buttons (to be retired), Pearl embossing powder by Recollections 
 
Quilt card:
Paper:  Roxie (retired), Clementine (sold out), Buzz and Bumble (sold out), Vanilla Cream cardstock (retired)
Ink:  Cocoa plus a Smoothie alcohol marker
Stamp:  Limited Edition (retired)
Embellishments:  Color Ready Garden Wooden Shapes (to be retired), Tan Opaque Adhesive Gems
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh!!! I adore your card, Hansi! OK, so now for the reason I freaked out...go see my Mojo Monday post...#601...I have been working on it tonight finally...posted it, then came over to H2H and saw your guest DT post!!! Can you believe our minds are meeting without our bodies knowing, lol?! Awesome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete