A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Laughing Lola Goes Elegant in the Rose Garden




I was so excited to go to my consultant's open house to see the new Close to My Heart products with my own eyes!  I also came home with some goodies including a package of Laughing Lola paper.  Thank you, Cheryl!  As I played with Laughing Lola and the "G" key on the CTMH's Artiste Cricut cartridge for the current challenge in the Rose Blossom Garden, I found myself thinking that this bright somewhat edgy teenage girl paper can have an elegant side just like the grungy teenager who turns into Audrey Hepburn for the prom. 

While making this gift card holder I learned a few things:
1.  You can make a holder up to 5.25 inches if you press the "fill page" key, but the size that fits a gift card more closely is 4.75.
2.  When trying to determine the size to cut for the "accent 1" bow, allow for the curve.  The size you cut will be about 2.5 times the diameter you want your finished bow to be.  My first attempt I only doubled the diameter.
3.  Use the handle of your piercing tool or something similar to curl the spokes before you assemble your bow to avoid creasing.
4.  About the smallest you can make an "accent 1" bow is with a 4 inch cut.  Otherwise it flattens out when you bring the spokes to the center.
5.  If you want a border on you card, you are going to have to waste paper by cutting another card holder and then trimming off the part you want.  My one gripe with the Artiste cartridge is, unlike the Art Philosophy and other cartridges I have, there is a lack of layering options for each key.

For the bow I cut two "accent 1" pieces, one at 4.5 and one at 4.0 inches, stamped them, sponged the edges and curled them.  The directions show glue holding the spokes in the center, but I used a Bamboo brad on the larger bow and the large Rhinestone brad on the top one.  (Fortunately I have small fingers.)  Because I wanted a black border, I cut a 5.25 inch card holder, trimmed off one side and glued my assembled card holder to it.  You can see it here:



I think I used half a pack of Bitty Sparkles on the front to compliment the center of the bow.  I know Glitter Glitz would be a more cost effective option, but I just love the sparkles!  Thank you for stopping by!  Now please hop over to the  Rose Blossom Garden to see what others have created with the "G" key on the Artiste cartridge.  Until next time, Hansi

Materials used, all from Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
Paper:  Laughing Lola, Black and Colonial White cardstock
Ink:  Bamboo, Black
Stamps:  Card Chatter Birthday
Embellishments:  Rhinestone Designer brad (to be retired), Bamboo brad (to be retired), Bitty Sparkles

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is absolutely beautiful! Laughing Lola is one of new favorites and you sure knew how to make this beauty stand out! Thank you for playing along at the Rose Blossom Garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! Thanks for some much needed inspiration and for another awesome contribution at RBG!

    ReplyDelete