A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Heartfelt Tropical Goodbye

 


One of my Scrappin' friends is moving to Tacoma, Washington.  I am going to miss her very much and had to make a card to tell her so.  I thought I would send her off with a card that reminds her of warmth and sunshine, something she will not have so much of in the Pacific Northwest.  As timing would have it, the theme of one of the June challenges over at Heart 2 Heart is "If You Like Pina Coladas - Let's Go Tropical!"  When I think of the Tropics I think of sunshine, lush vegetation, hibiscus flowers, and clear, turquoise water.



I tried several new things with this card starting with creating a flower that looks somewhat like a hibiscus. First I cut five petals in Colonial White cardstock using the Cricut Art Philosophy (page 65) cartridge from Close to My Heart which I then trimmed to get the rough scalloped edges.  I then used my dry embossing/scoring stylus to score the surface, sponged them with Blush, Smoothie and Tulip, and finally ruffled the edges before gluing them onto a small circle.

 Next, I needed to suggest some lush vegetation.  A while back, Vicki Wizniuk did several posts on her blog, Wizard's Hangout, featuring the ink and emboss technique where you apply ink to the inside of your embossing folder before inserting and embossing the paper.  I dabbed the inside with Topiary, Lagoon and Pear pigment inks, pushing the pad down a bit to get a little bit of ink in the "valleys" of the flourishes before embossing on Pear cardstock.  I covered the embossed dots with Stardust Glitter Glitz and then colored them with alcohol markers in Cotton Candy layered over Sorbet because I did not have a Smoothie marker.  I do now :)  Here is the inside, where you can see the embossed paper before I embellished with the glitter glitz.

 
 
 
Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi
 
Materials used, all from Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
Paper:  Pear, Lagoon, Smoothie and White Colonial cardstock
Ink:  Topiary, Lagoon and Pear pigment inks, Blush, Smoothie and Tulip dye inks, Sorbet and Cotton Candy alcohol markers
Stamp:  Beautiful Friendship
Embellishments:  Brown Sparkles, Stardust Glitter Glitz
Other:  Embossing folder from the Paper Studio (I do not know the name of the pattern)




1 comment: